Glasgow Cathedral is said to be the location where Saint Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow, built his church. Saint Mungo’s remains are found in the lower crypt of the Cathedral and is one of the main reasons why tourists visit the place. Today, this landmark is one of the structures tightly associated with Glasgow. It is a perfect example of Scottish Gothic architecture and serves as a good representation of the architectural heritage of Glasgow.
The Cathedral was constructed before the Reformation and became the seat of the Archbishop of Glasgow. It’s interesting to note that Glasgow Cathedral is one of the few Scottish medieval churches that have not succumbed to the destruction brought about by the Reformation. It has not been unroofed and is notably the only medieval cathedral found along the Scottish mainland. The Cathedral was witness to the battles of Glasgow in 1544 and 1560.
This Scottish church actually wouldn’t have remained intact had there been no intervention from the local government. Around two decades after the last battle in Glasgow, the town council agreed to undertake repairs on the cathedral. The repairs were mostly funded by the money left by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar. It’s worth mentioning too that the rood screen in the cathedral has also managed to survive as it is rather rare for it to remain intact in Scottish churches.
Cathedral or Not?
Glasgow Cathedral, technically, is no longer a cathedral since it has already ceased becoming the seat of a bishop since 1690. Still, this church remains to be an active place for Christian worship just like many other pre-Reformation cathedrals in Scotland. It has even hosted the Church of Scotland congregation. The cathedral part of its name remains acceptable under a looser definition of the term, being a large and important church. Glasgow Cathedral, for some, may no longer be prominently associated with worship activities. Instead, it is more widely known as a tourist destination.
At present, Glasgow Cathedral is led by Rev Laurence A.B. Whitley, who has assumed the position since February 2007. He took over the position left by Rev William Morris, who retired in November 2005. The building of the Cathedral is owned by the Crown but is maintained by Historic Scotland.
The church maintains a website that looks not that outdated but also not that attention-grabbing. For a place regarded as a tourist destination, its website has not been transformed into something flashy and attractive. The important details are there but for the most part, the website has remained typical of how a church website would look like. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with it. Just don’t mind it looking so typical or comparable to this site for those who want to buy hcg injections online. Well, the site is not ad-filled but it appears generic for church websites, just like how the generic pages of hcg pills or hcg pellets are designed.